Sometimes when surfers get to a certain level in their surfing they will stop asking for help. When they get to this stage then you find that it is very hard to improve. This is why we have devised this type of lesson structure. If you are starting to paddle out back, catch green waves which are unbroken, riding along the face of the wave, bottom turning, top turning and starting to learn how to cut back then we can help take you to that next level. It will give you that extra boost to get to that higher level or even make your surfing moves more accurate and to a higher consistency. These lessons are very effective in 1:1 ratio but can also be good to see how others surf.
This is what you can expect from an advanced lesson:
1. Meet: We will meet you at the Long Line Surf Cabin based down beside Benone Tourist Complex where you can meet your friendly and enthusiastic coach.
2. Health and Safety Check: We will collect in health and safety forms which you have filled out so we can advice you appropriately on how the lesson will run.
3. Get your kit on! : We will kit you out with a surfboard, a warm well fitting wetsuit and a very stylish Long Line high visibility rash vest so we know exactly where you are when we get in the water. Since this is an advanced lesson the chances that you have your own board is very likely, so we encourage you to bring along your own equipment because that is the equipment that you use every day and there is no point learning on something else.
4. Changing: Personal belongings can be left in the unit and valuables can be locked up in the secure safety box.
5. Warm up: We will then walk down to the beach through a short scenic route over the sand dunes. Once we get settled on the beach then you will be taken through a gentle warm up and be taken over surf safety information.
6. Dry Land Coaching: This will consist of explanations, demonstrations and you practising your skills with the coach keeping a close eye on you and what you can do to improve on certain skills you may already know. What you are taught in this lesson will depend on your knowledge and level of surfing. In some cases you may go in the water first for the coach can see exactly where you are at to decide how to teach you from there.
7. What will be learnt during this great lesson?: When you get to this level of surfing it is very hard to look at surfing and pick one specific thing to teach as your basic skills are there and there is so much more to learn. So depending on where you are at in your surfing and what you want to achieve during the lesson will work out how you are taught. This could be certain moves such as cutbacks and floaters but maybe you want other advice such as surf fitness, nutrition and mental surfing.
8. Video Coaching: This is a great way to see your bad habits. We will video your surfing when you’re out in the water and then show it to you so you can see exactly what needs to be changed and how to finish the move correctly. Some people don’t like looking at themselves but all coaches here have had it done to them at some stage so no need to be embarrassed. On the plus side it’s a good thing to take home and show the family.
9. Final Tips: When lesson comes to an end then you will be given final tips on how to keep improving. Then it’s time to dry off!