2. Health and Safety Check: We will collect in health and safety forms which you have filled out so we can advice you appropriately on how the lesson will run.
3. Get your kit on! : We will kit you out with a surfboard, a warm well fitting wetsuit and a very stylish Long Line high visibility rash vest so we know exactly where you are when we get in the water.
4. Changing: Personal belongings can be left in the unit and valuables can be locked up in the secure safety box.
5. Warm up: We will then walk down to the beach through a short scenic route over the sand dunes. Once we get settled on the beach then you will be taken through a gentle warm up and go over surf safety information.
6. Dry Land Coaching: This is a very vital part of the lesson. You didn’t think we would chuck you out in the water without teaching you what needs to be done first?! This part will give you the basic information such as how to catch a wave and how to carry your board safely to the water and over the waves.
7. Water Coaching: We will demonstrate what you need to do and explain how you can do it too. We will keep coaching you out in the water until you ride the waves back to the beach. Don’t worry, this part of the lesson will be taken in white water and only up to waist deep waters.
8. Standing: After you have been in the water for 20 minutes and we feel that you have got the concept of catching waves lying down then we will bring you back on the beach and teach you how to stand up with a number of techniques. The aim is to get standing for a short period of time in your first lesson (on average 80% of students will stand on their first lesson). We will also teach you how to fall and dismount correctly. Falling is a big part of learning but don’t worry water doesn’t hurt. After you have been explained the techniques then we will head back into the water for another hour and try get you standing.
9. Supervising and Refining: Your coach will be watching over you throughout the lesson and making sure you are safe in the water. The most important thing about a surf lesson apart from fun is that you are given feedback and encouragement constantly so you will learn the skills without picking up any bad habits.
10. Final Tips: When the lesson comes to an end then you will be given final tips on how to keep improving and practice standing. Then it’s time to dry off!